After a seven-day nap, we’ve finally recouped enough energy to share the sordid details of Playtonic’s E3 adventures, where we privately showed off Yooka-Laylee for the first time and, by our estimation, consumed about 15 burgers in a half-week.
A troop of online media outlets kindly came to visit our meeting room at the Los Angeles-based show, and we rewarded each with a short and sharp demo of Yooka-Laylee – the first time we’ve done so since our crowdfunding campaign a year ago.
The hands-off demo focused on the new stuff we’re aiming to inject into the platform genre; expandable worlds, tonics, freeform move unlocking and our revamped collectibles system. Thankfully they seemed to like it, as we picked up a whole bunch of Best of Show nominations, notably from IGN, MTV, US Gamer and more. We’re very appreciative of the support, so thanks!
We also premiered to fans a glimpse of the Toybox, a custom-built Kickstarter backer experience winging its way to your PCs sometime next month. Oh, and there’s a trove of glimmering new screenshots over on the Yooka-Laylee game page, so have a look.
You can see a summary of our English online coverage, along with a selection of mischievous Grant Kirkhope-related video interviews, via the links below. Thanks for your support and look out for more content over the coming weeks and months!
- Gamespot: “Yooka-Laylee is an auditory delight with a sumptuous, carnivalesque world to escape in.”
- Eurogamer: “Yooka-Laylee looks fantastic”
- US Gamer: “Yooka-Laylee is easy to fall in love with”
- Forbes: “It’s an impressive experience both in design and really tactile moreish game-play”
- Metro: “Yooka-Laylee is Kickstarter done right”
- IGN: “9 little things to know about Yooka-Laylee”
- IGN: “Brings back Banjo-Kazooie nostalgia with a twist”
- Digital Spy: “It seems like Yooka-Laylee… [is] shaping up to be the 3D platformer everyone hoped it would be”
- Sixth Axis: “Playtonic are creating something that’s both an homage and a step toward the future.”
- Xbox Achievements: “It can’t come soon enough”
- Gamer Rant: “Yooka-Laylee looks to be the experience that every Kickstarter backer was dreaming of”
- PlayStation Universe: “It’s easy to see how the unassuming pair can triumphantly spur on a reawakening of ‘collectathons’ for years to come.”
- IDigital Times: “Clean, Bright, Modern Take On Classic 3D Platformers”
- Hardcore Gamer: “Yooka-Laylee is a breath of fresh air in a what is now a long lost genre.”
- Games Radar: “That’s a lot of people to please, but this clever expansion mechanic could make a world’s load of difference.”
- Gaming Trend: “The platforming revival you’ve been waiting for”
- Tech Raptor: “Yooka-Laylee hits pretty much all the checkmarks one would expect”
- Shack News: “It’s alive and fun, filled to the brim with activities and never shying away from brilliant colors”
- Wow247: “Exciting, colourful and full of energy”